May 26, 2014

Makati, Metro Manila: Coupon Crazy at Genji M

Thanks to my good friend, Helen, we scored a great deal at this unlimited sushi-all-you-can at Genji M where they served fantastic salmon! We had an amazing experience and the pacing was fine that we didn’t feel like vomiting or anything after that. I've thought of posting a review but I personally asked her to write this review because she was the one who found and pursued this deal from day 1. If you're a fan of Japanese cuisine, this is a fair warning not to drool. Read on and enjoy :)

Don't you just love Japanese cuisine?
I'm a big fan of sushi and sashimi. In fact, I know I think I can live on those dishes every single day. Needless to say, I'm always on the look out for Japanese restaurants with good deals.  

During one of those busy work days, I found myself scrolling down my Facebook timeline (I think I've wasted around 2 hours or so, reading through meaningless statuses and (un)important articles I found interesting. Then that blessed day, one of my Facebook contacts shared a blog link about this Japanese restaurant, Genji M, who is giving Php250 off on their *drum roll please* Unlimited Sushi and Sashimi. I found it too good to be true so I wasn't satisfied with reading just one blog about it. I had to make sure it was no hoax. It was then I found out that many food bloggers have dined at the restaurant and wrote about their experience. After around 7 blogs and 30 minutes of hearing my stomach rumble, I was convinced. "I'm going to eat at that darn restaurant before the promo ends." Yes, I said that out loud.  

So basically the mechanics of the promo is to print out the coupon from one of those food blogs (one coupon per person), fill out the needed information and present it to the waiter upon ordering. 'Cause I want to make you life easier, here's the coupon I printed out. Got it from Thepurpledoll.net (link: http://www.thepurpledoll.net/2014/03/genji-m-unlimited-sushi-sashimi-makati.html) 

You can download the coupon at The Purple Doll's blog
There was a mix of opinions on the comments sections of the blogs about this restaurant. Most of the rants were about how slow their service was and I was given the impression that a lot of people were availing of this promo, so I could just imagine the long waiting line. (There was even a story about a night when there was just a crazy number of people in the restaurant that they were having a hard time keeping up with the variety of orders and to accommodate everybody was just next to impossible. That night, the chef walked out! *gasp*) Being the OC person who wants everything planned out, I called the restaurant on a Thursday to have a table reserved for the coming Saturday. I was told that they have reached the maximum number of reservations for that Saturday. 5 for lunch and 5 for dinner. The reason is so they can accommodate walk-ins as well. Uh-oh. That only means we had to get there early before the crowd comes in for dinner. I was informed that they open for lunch at - please take note - 11:30am and closes at 2pm to prepare for the 2nd batch which starts at 4:30pm until 9:30pm. The restaurant manager said that the dinner crowd comes in usually at 7pm. I had to be there at exactly 4:30pm.

Come in at peak hours and you'll be greeted by waiting customers 

After a tricycle, a bus and a cab ride which lasted for around 2 hours (I live in Malabon. I'm crazy for sushi like that), we finally reached Genji M which is located at Makati. I was accompanied by my travel blogger friends Justine, Monica and my girlfriend, Joy. We were there before 4:30pm so we had to wait outside. We were the first ones there (hooray!) so when the restaurant opened, we were the first ones to be seated. I was expecting that we'll be seated in the open area, but instead, we were ushered inside a small private room good for exactly 4 persons. (Hooray! Hooray!). And because I thoroughly researched about Genji M, I immediately asked for the checklist where we would choose the sushi we wanted to order. It isn't like the usual eat-all-you can sushi and sashimi where everything is laid out buffet-style. We had to order one set at a time by choosing our desired sushi, rolls or sashimi using a checklist. When you avail of the Unlimited Sushi and Sashimi, the first set that will be served will be choices of the chef, then you can practice your free will on the next sets. 

Here's their pricelist:

Image

Take note though that when you avail of the Php250 off promo, there will be an additional 10% service charge based on their original price, not the discounted rate.  

Upon separating our wooden chopsticks, we chowed these down. And because we were excited to dig in, we were not able to take pictures of the other sushi and rolls we ordered. Sorry :) Oh, and there's complimentary iced tea and miso soup too: 


                                                                          
The verdict:  
- In terms of service, I think the management has improved. I've read all sorts of negative comments on different blogs about how slow their service was. But whenever we pressed the buzzer to call a waiter, one of them got to our table in under 3 minutes. They're very accommodating and friendly


- The waiting time between sets was, to me, quite long. Especially if you get there hungry. (But once you're full, and you've checked off almost all the salmon sushi and rolls, including their big maki, with 8 pieces each, you wish they'll stop. *guilty as charged*) Although the good things is, with their style of ordering through a checklist, you can cancel your order when you think you can't take in any sushi anymore. That's if they haven't prepared your order yet and is still in queue.  

Samgyupsal Maki, Salmon Maki, Fatty Salmon Maki
- I think the rice they used was not that fresh, but our group absolutely loved their salmon. My personal favorites were the soft salmon sushi and fish roe.  

Salmon and Fish Roe
- The ambience was very good. We were pretty lucky we got a private room, so we were isolated from the coming and going of people in the common area. But inspecting that area, the tables were spaced just right so customers there were fairly comfortable as well.   

The Fat Salmon that melts in your mouth. (Make sure to order this!)

I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars. Will we be back? Yes! Hopefully before May 31, which is the end date of their Php250 off coupon promo :)

For more details, visit:

Genji M (Former SamJung), Makati
Kalayaan Ave. cor. Makati Ave.,
San Lorenzo, Makati 
Metro Manila, Philippines
(02) 804-2883
Official Website
Facebook

Image
The Red Backpacker, The Boho Traveler, and the Dynamic Duo. :)
Thanks Helen for the review! I can't wait to read more of your food excursions and sweet life hacks on your blog. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for inviting us to experience Genji M, Helen! Where should we head to next?

    ReplyDelete